The Best Lentil Soup
This is the perfect soup to make anytime of the year but especially like to make it during the holiday season. It’s delicious the first day, and even better the day after. The lentils, kombu and vegetables provide vitamins, minerals and plenty of fiber while the cumin and coriander contain iron and beneficial blood sugar-lowering properties.
2 Tbs organic extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs butter
1- medium Onion, chopped
2- carrots, chopped
2- celery ribs, chopped
4- kombu, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 cup Beluga Lentils, rinsed and drained
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp harissa
1. Melt in a medium size pot: olive oil + butter
2. Add and sauté onion over low heat until transparent and stir
3. Add and cook for 5 mins over medium heat: carrots + celery and stir
4. Add and cook for 1 minute: cumin + coriander + beluga lentils and stir
5. Add the kombu, salt, pepper, harissa, and 3 (or 4 cups) cups of water.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 45 mins.