About Eating Mushrooms

About Eating Mushrooms
August 31, 2019 Christina Mullin

Paul Stamets wrote :”With the increased use of mushroom products, I feel a personal responsibility to inform the public about safety issues regarding mushroom preparations. Misleading marketing causes consumer confusion, risk, and damage to our industry, which is always under scrutiny.”

Should you consume raw mushrooms and/or mushroom mycelium?

1-No, absolutely not! Raw mushrooms are largely indigestible because of their tough cell walls, mainly composed of chitin.

2-Dr. Andrew Weil advises, in agreement with other experts, that mushrooms must be cooked! “Mushrooms have very tough cell walls and are essentially indigestible if you don’t cook them. Thoroughly heating them releases the nutrients they contain, including protein, B vitamins, and minerals, as well as a wide range of novel compounds not found in other foods,” (Prevention, Feb 1, 2013).

3-Raw mushrooms and raw mycelium may pose health hazards from harmful pathogens and heat-sensitive toxins—potentially causing red blood cell damage, gastrointestinal irritation and allergic reactions, such as skin rashes.

How can one safely use mushrooms?

When consuming mushrooms, or mushroom products, they should be cooked.

Did you know that mushrooms are packed with nutritional value. They’re low in calories, are great sources of fiber and protein (good for plant-based diets). They also provide many important nutrients, including B vitamins, selenium, potassium, copper, and (particularly when exposed to the sun) vitamin D.

Golden Oysters (featured in the image) are high in protein & fiber, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorus & selenium, calcium, folic acid, vitamins B1, B3, B5 & B12and vitamin C & vitamin D. Recent studies have shown that Oyster mushrooms also have the following medicinal properties:cholesterol lowering, anti-oxidantand anti-cancer

 Lots more mushroom information available here

Photo credit: Priscilla Woolworth